- TV news witness a dramatic downturn in information representation standards: only 1 of 7 reports comprised two points of view
- Defense and law enforcement ministries remain the most mentioned entities among political institutions
- Party of Regions representatives appear speaking on TV screens 5 times more than Batkivshchina ones
- Political news. The election campaign has started – currently the interest to political issues is the highest within the whole monitoring period. Every fourth report is related to political issues. UT-1 features the highest share (46%), TVi and ICTV – 35%, 1+1 and STB have the smallest shares: 16% and 19%, respectively. The most popular topic of the news is the registration of parties and candidates for elections-2012. 20% of the news, i. e. 1 of 5 was related to elections.
- Standards of news. Only 1 of 7 news reports (13%) included two points of view – the smallest figure within the frame of all four monitoring waves. TVi has the highest share of such representations – 23%. UT-1 has the lowest one (3%), and STB alike (9%). One must note there have been almost no data and public opinion polls’ results represented.
- Political institutions, parties and personalities. The attention to political parties, political figures and political institutions is the highest for the whole monitoring period – 20%, 39%, 63%, respectively. The most frequently mentioned political institutions include ministries of law enforcement and defense (18%) and local government bodies (17%). Party of Regions and Batkivshchina are the public attention leaders among political associations; the attention to other parties is minimal.
- Political persons. Attention. 43% of all mentioned political persons belong to Party of Regions, 26% – Batkivshchina, 5% – Ukraine – Forward!, Our Ukraine and Oleh Lyashko Radical Party have 4% each. Attention leaders in news programs in the first week of August were V. Yankovych, the President of Ukraine (10%), M. Azarov, Prime Minister of Ukraine, (10%), and Yu. Tymoshenko (6%). Similar to June, in August around 83% of all mentions about political actors are being made in positive-neutral context. In 47% cases when Yu. Lutsenko is mentioned, and in 44% cases when Yu. Tymoshenko is mentioned, the messages were flavored with negative-doubtful notes.
- Political persons. Sync. 57% of sync is allocated to Party of Regions’ representatives, which is 5 times more than the share of sync allocated for Batkivshchina (11%), sync of other parties are ranged between 1% and 7%. The third of all sync (35%) is allocated to M, Azarov, Prime Minister, and A. Klyuev, the first and the fourth positions in Party of Regions electoral list, respectively. M. Azarov’s sync is not the biggest one only at TVi. Only one representative of BYUT-Batkivshchina faction was speaking in the air of UT-1.
Monitoring research was carried out by the Academy of Ukrainian Press (AUP) with participation of scientists of the Institute of Sociology of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine through the method of content analysis of prime-time news programs of 8 leading Ukrainian TV channels – Inter, 1+1, Novy Kanal, TRC “Ukrayna”, SТB, ICTV, UT-1, and TVi.
Presented analysis is part of continuous media monitoring conducted by the Academy of Ukrainian Press since 2002.
This monitoring research became possible due to the support of the American people. Monitoring results shall be the exclusive responsibility of the Academy of Ukrainian Press and not necessarily reflect the opinion of USAID and Internews Network.
The research is also funded by the International Renaissance Foundation and British Embassy in Ukraine.
Valery Ivanov, AUP President
Oksana Voloshenyuk, AUP Director
Tel: +38- 067-504-9802